This Holi, when I kept the Party for the Gang, I started with the thought of making Chilled Thandayi for the traditional Welcome of the guests. Though it would not be the Bhaang thandai, but still would be better than having nothing. Unfortunately, didnt get the Thandai powder in any of the store. Then, I had already decided to make Shahi Rose Kheer, so it would be too much of dairy combining Dahi Bhalle as well. These thoughts, and I felt reluctant for the welcome drink. But then what ? Its Holi yaar, something should be there. There was no time left for making Kaanji ( since it needs at least a week of Carrot fermentation ). And then like a beam, this refreshing drink struck in my mind. Lets make Jaljeera.. An easy and appetizing drink which would not be heavy on stomach and still will serve the purpose of a Holi Party.
It got prepared in a jiffy saving me lot of time for other preparations. Our friends loved it and hopefully so would you.
- 5 cups Chilled Water
- 2 tbsp Mint Leaves, crushed and chopped v fine
- 2 tbsp Cumin powder
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1 tbsp fresh Coriander leaves, chopped v small
- Pinch of Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp grated and minced ginger
- 2 tbsp Boondi ( optional )
- Roast the cumin powder and mix with all other spices
- Grind Mint and coriander to make a fine paste
- Mix all the ingredients together and mix well. Add water, check salt according to you taste
- Sprinkle some Boondi on top before serving :)
- It can be used as a drink for Paani Puri as well..
Off to Radhika's Chilled Delights, Tomato Blues Summer Spirits, Preeti's Jump n Jive, Surabhi's EP SEries - Mint n Coriander started by Erivum Puliyum.